Monday, April 26, 2010

Providence through Pain

If every semester was to be given a title, as of now, this semester would be Loss. My grandma passed away at the beginning of the semester, one of my friends lost her little baby and I lost the man I thought I was going to marry in the middle, and now my aunt is on the verge of death. Every heartbreak reminds me of the last.
I was talking to a dear friend this afternoon, a man that I consider to be a second father to me. He brought up James 1, which is usually brought up in times like this: Consider it pure joy my brothers, when you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. So, as I do, I looked up the Greek. The word "perseverance" [hypomone] means a steadfast endurance.
I'm guilty; last night, I laid on my bed asking God to deliver me. And yet, it is here, under the fire where we are refined. This word, [hypomone] may be one of the most important words in the New Testament. Through the [hypomone] of Christ, we are offered salvation. Through the [hypomone] of the apostles, the Word was spread throughout the world. What will God do with my [hypomone] if I change my attitude to allow Him?

No comments: