Saturday, February 23, 2008

What to be...?

The world has a way of framing who a person should be. Holly, my roommate introduced me to the saying, "You're unique, just like everyone else," and it's true. Some people go to the extreme to try and be different, and yet others are always following their pursuit.

I'll give you a little example...

I decided in high school that I wanted to be different than everyone else. (This was before plaid was technically "back in style," aka the Dark Ages Two) I went thrift store shopping and found this amazing pair of plaid pants for $6...terrific...I know. So, knowing that no one else has plaid, I wear then with pride...Three months later, I start to spy plaid walking around my school...not on me...and I start to wonder what's going on. Before I know it, Mom's are pulling out the plaid they wore in high school and their daughters are wearing it because it's now "fashionable..." What?! That was MY plaid...

Now, I'm sure the fashion industry didn't see me walking around in my plaid pants and say, "Hey, plaid is rad" or "Don't get mad, get plaid" or "plaid ain't no fad," (I had a shirt my friend made for me that said "don't get mad get plaid, and he had to others that said the other two...) but for some reason, being different doesn't always work.

But the difference lies with the person. Or should I say, inside of the person. As a Christian to be unique is to be in Christ. To be unique is to be everything the world isn't. To be the same is to live with the world's standards. It's not what we do that makes us unique but who you have inside of you. And with Christ as the focal point, you have already been made different. The Bible says that you were wonderfully made and crafted by the God who also entered the womb to save you. You are fearfully and wonderfully made and there is nothing in the world that will make you more unique than Christ.

To be unique is to be courteous.
To be unique is to be a virgin when you're married.
To be unique is to not come from a broken home.
To be unique is to give nothing out of selfish ambition.
To be unique is to be kind.
To be unique is to love your enemies.
To be unique is to have joy.
To be unique is to live selflessly.
To be unique is to live a holy life.

I want to be unique, just like everyone else.

1 comment:

rachel said...

so true.


welcome to the world of blogging.
:]